Saturday, April 14, 2012

Pittsburgh Zoo

 Nala - 04/10/12
 Kiara - 04/10/12
 Pride Rock - 04/10/12
Nala & Kiara - 04/10/12 
 Squirt - 04/10/12
Crush - 04/10/12

 - Pittsburgh Zoo -
            When I found out that we would be taking a trip to the Pittsburgh Zoo, I got very excited because I love going to the zoo ever since my first trip to the Philadelphia Zoo in the first grade. My favorite attraction is the penguins but I knew that they would be difficult to photograph with all of the glass.
            I also knew that this trip would tie in perfectly with my project because just about every Disney movie has talking animals in them. These animals didn’t talk but they said a lot. Every time I see the lions exhibit I always thing the rock looks like Pride Rock from the Lion King. I was sad to not be able to photograph the male lions but the female lions put on quite a show for us while we waited.
            I find animals absolutely amazing and interesting. To be actually able to hold a rehabilitated baby sea turtle was unreal!
Once everyone went on their own, we decided to see if we could learn more about the stingrays that were being moved the next morning. Josie told us a story about how they were rescued from New Jersey of all places. They only reason they had survived so long in the winter was because they were located next to a power plant that releases 80-90 degree water into the ocean. The zoo had to move quickly because that channel was about to be shut down the very next day which would have made the water just under 50 degrees. This story appealed to me because my daddy works at that power plant and I can proudly say that he sort of helped save some stingrays that will make an excellent addition to the exhibits a Pittsburgh Zoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment